Re: Emacs daemon dies at Xorg crash

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: Re: Emacs daemon dies at Xorg crash
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 09:00:20 +0100

>> > IMO that patch is good, but it fixes the effect in this case, not the
>> > cause.
>>
>> Hm, could you please elaborate what you mean by "effect" and "cause"
>> here?

> Emacs dies because something tries to call message while no frame is
> open.  This is the "effect".  The "cause" is whatever causes that
> message to be written, it probably should not happen.

But "X connection lost" is precisely what happens. What could Emacs do
to prevent this, if there is suddenly no X server anymore?

> And indeed, even for you, it happens only for some specific window
> managers.

Looks like IceWM sends a WM_DELETE_WINDOW message to the X clients
before it exits, while Xfce4 doesn't do this.

What happens if you kill -9 your X server? Does Emacs die?

Ulrich