Re: Displaying LRM and RLM

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Displaying LRM and RLM
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 22:57:12 +0800

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Does Emacs support display of zero-width characters? should it?

I think the answer to this last questions is yes. Another question is HOW should Emacs support zero width characters - should it be stripping them before they are sent to the font backend for display, and doing the right thing with them itself, or should it be up to the font backends to support them?

If it is the latter, I think we need to redesign the font backend API to allow extra information to be attached in the encode_char function in the backends. Checking just now, we do actually have the information that this character is zero-width at that point, but once we have returned the encoded glyph, that information is lost.