Re: proced: ppid of process ID 0 can be 0

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: proced: ppid of process ID 0 can be 0
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 22:26:15 +0100

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 20:17, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> A low-level primitive such as system-process-attributes should know
> nothing about its users, ideally.  It should just return whatever the
> OS tells it.  It should not adapt its handling of ppid to what its
> callers might like or dislike.

That is true. OTOH, your approach can also be evaluated by weighting
the complexity it introduces (however small) against the uncleanliness
of adapting one current primitive to cater to expectations. I'd be
more convinced that your generalization is useful if we had many
different platform-dependent implementations, but that does not seem
likely.

    Juanma