RE: Release update

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Release update
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 11:43:10 -0800

> > > In ~/cygwin/var/cache/fontconfig/, I do see some files with
> > > system-generated names. Should I just delete those?
> >
> > > Anyway, I tried that. Deleting those files had no effect on the
> > > startup time.
>
> Well, the first time you call emacs after deleting those file will be
> slow since fontconfig rebuilds the cache files.  However, starting
> with the second call it should be fast.  In case this isn't so my
> guess of the problem's cause is probably wrong.

Right; I understood. No, it's not just the first time that it's slow.

Since then, Lennart pointed me to this:
http://www.ascendercorp.com/support/#cache,
which points to file C:\Windows\System32\FNTCACHE.DAT as a font cache.

Not sure deleting that will help either.
I will try it later - don't want to reboot now.

FWIW, this area doesn't seem to be very well documented for Emacs users. Maybe
if things were working well it would not need to be, but the Fontconfig manual
referenced in the Emacs manual seems to be platform-specific, mentioning only
cache file locations on UNIX or GNU/Linux.