Re: proced: ppid of process ID 0 can be 0

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: proced: ppid of process ID 0 can be 0
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 11:47:20 -0500

> The process-tree-root-p primitive does not need to employ the same
> logic (nor even the same syscalls, actually) that
> system-process-attributes does.  The latter simply omits from the
> alist it returns any attribute that it could not fetch for some
> reason, any reason.  The former could do something else.  What
> exactly, I will figure out when I write it.

So you're saying that by working hard you can maybe in some corner case
give a more precise answer for the boolean `process-tree-root-p' while
the parent process is not returned by `system-process-attributes'.
I can't think of any situation where process-tree-root-p would be useful
and where the ppids wouldn't be needed.

I also still have no idea how/when system-process-attributes could fail
to return ppids.

It still sounds terribly far fetched.

        Stefan