Re: Directory-local variables?

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Directory-local variables?
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 02:30:29 +0200

>> The term "directory-local variables" is potentially misleading; Emacs
>> does not implement directory-local bindings.  What this feature really
>> does is systematically set up buffer-local bindings for all files in a
>> directory.
>>
>> So I think this needs to be described as a variant on the file local
>> variable lists.
>
> We would still need a short and catchy term for this feature.  Can you
> (or someone else) suggest one that is different from "directory-local
> variables"?

It seems to me that the most precise and unambiguous term is
"directory-local file variables".  It is based on the standard term
"file variables" as defined in the node (info "(emacs) File Variables")
and "directory-local" says that their scope is limited to the specified
directory.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/