Re: configure.in support for FreeBSD ia64/sparc64/powerpc

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: Re: configure.in support for FreeBSD ia64/sparc64/powerpc
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 13:44:14 +0100

>> > so making the code depend on __FreeBSD__ doesn't solve Ulrich's
>> > original problem.
>>
>> It does, in fact. But testing for the OS still looks wrong to me,
>> since it is a question of a machine instruction implemented for
>> SPARC-V9, but not for earlier CPUs.

> Or it's a question of FreeBSD not providing an implementation for
> the "ta 3" trap?

Probably _because_ it is available in hardware and therefore not
needed? Or, look what other programs like GCC do (in sparc.md):

   ;; Special trap insn to flush register windows.
   (define_insn "flush_register_windows"
     [(unspec_volatile [(const_int 0)] UNSPECV_FLUSHW)]
     ""
     { return TARGET_V9 ? "flushw" : "ta\t3"; }
     [(set_attr "type" "flushw")])

No test for the OS here. Similar code can be found in the Boehm-GC or
in libjava.

But this discussion is moot. Could you please commit the patch with
the test in the form "defined (__sparc64__) && defined (__FreeBSD__)"
at least, so that FreeBSD and Gentoo can get rid of their local patch?

Ulrich