Re: Terminology in multi-tty primitives

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Terminology in multi-tty primitives
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 09:18:31 -0500

> I don't care what the interface is called.  But my feeling is that the
> primary UI operation here is "withdrawing a frame", and that whether
> the process gets STOPed or not is an implementation detail.

On a tty, you want to withdraw all the frames in one go, so conceptually
that's equivalent to withdrawing the terminal; on a graphical display,
that's not so useful, and it would be a nuisance if C-z iconfified all
frames instead of just the current frame.  On a graphical display, you
want to withdraw individual frames; on a tty, that's not at all useful,
and it would be a nuisance if C-z acted on single frames.