Re: dir-locals.el take precedence over user's mode-hook changes

From: Richard M Stallman
Subject: Re: dir-locals.el take precedence over user's mode-hook changes
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 11:39:40 -0500

    Maybe something like

    ;; Pre-Local Variables:
    ;; End:

    for variables set before mode hook or

    ;; Post-Local Variables:
    ;; End:

    after mode hook.

If we want to put such a feature in the file, this is a clean spec for
it.  However, putting it in the file has the consequence that it
specifies the same ordering for all users who visit the file.  Is that
ok?  We would need to look at use cases.

I also wonder whether the need for such a feature is enough to justify
the complexity it would add to the Emacs Manual.