Re: mode line eol char indication

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: mode line eol char indication
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 09:20:09 +0800

Drew Adams wrote:
* The non-"nontrivial" eol convention, represented by `:', is
  presumably what is meant by "usually", that is, a newline char.
  But a newline eol is also sometimes represented by `(Unix)'.
  Why?  And why is this called "nontrivial" - why is it more
  nontrivial and more usual than the other possibilities?

In Emacs 20, only the single character indications were used, but people found them confusing. But the full word indications are too long for many people, so now we use the single character when the newline format is native for the platform Emacs is running on, and the full word when it is non-native - this change occurred in 21.1 IIRC. Unix line ends are non-trivial because they are what Emacs uses internally - no conversion is required. They are more usual for users of GNU based platforms because GNU is based on unix conventions.

Why `:'?  Why `\' (is there some relation to the DOS directory
separator?)?  Why `/'?
.
Originally : was was based on the unix PATH separator, and \ on the DOS directory separator. / was made the Mac indicator because like the DOS separator, it is not straight up and down, but it leans a different direction than DOS. I think at some point during 20.1 pretest, we had / for Unix and : for Mac, until someone pointed out that : was less noticeable, so that should indicate the trivial Unix line-end.