Re: mode line eol char indication

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: mode line eol char indication
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 16:39:52 +0800

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Those are commands.  Users almost *never* use those as self-inserting
characters.  ^J, LF, NL, \n, OK (my preference is LF), but not C-j,
please.

In my experience users often don't know the difference between LF and CR. And they shouldn't have to care, all they need to know is that a text file has line endings that will work with other software on their system (single charactor indication), or if not, what type of system this text file has come from so they can make an intelligent decision no what to do about it.