Re: Terminology in multi-tty primitives

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Terminology in multi-tty primitives
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 15:56:37 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 12:13:53 -0500
>
> >     (make-frame `((window-system . nil) (tty . ,tty) (tty-type . ,type) .
> > ,parameters))))
>
> > Now, what do you want to change exactly, and which part do you want to
> > move to make-frame?
>
> I think calls to make-frame-on-tty should be replaceable by just
>
>    (make-frame `((tty . ,tty) (tty-type . ,type) . ,parameters))))
>
> I.e. the explicit `tty' parameter should be interpreted by make-frame as
> overriding the window-system of the current frame.

I won't object to such a change, but I must say I don't see how that
would be more elegant than the current code in make-frame-on-tty.
Perhaps even less elegant: make-frame-on-tty is a user command, so it
can sustain more ugliness, if user-level considerations justify that.
By contrast, make-frame is a general-purpose infrastructure, and
introducing such conditions into it makes it less general.