Re: 23.0.60; end-of-sentence and non-breaking space

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; end-of-sentence and non-breaking space
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 11:54:27 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 22:06:21 -0500
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> Good point.  Especially because I think this changed from Emacs-20 to
> Emacs-21, and I think it also changed now from Emacs-22 to Emacs-23.

I think the change in Emacs 23 is OK, but it needs to be consistent in
characters and strings.

> IIUC if you want the character with code #xa0, then using \u00a0 would
> seem like the most unambiguous option

Agreed.  Using \uNNNN is an unambiguous way of saying you want a Unicode
character whose codepoint is NNNN in hex.

> Not sure what \NNN or \xMM should do.

I think they should insert a raw byte with that code, and I think they
should do that both in characters and in strings, so that the
inconsistent behavior reported by Richard will become consistent.