Re: Terminology in multi-tty primitives

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Terminology in multi-tty primitives
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 11:41:45 +0800

Chetan Pandya wrote:
On my system I cannot create a tty frame, but isn't there supposed to be the
ability to create multiple frames on a terminal?

That is distinct from creating a frame on a different tty. The issue here is that creating a frame on a tty that Emacs does not already own can lead to corruption, because the process that owns that tty keeps drawing to it while Emacs is using it.

Perhaps we should limit the ttys that Emacs will create frames on with make-frame-on-tty to ttys that Emacs already owns (either through emacsclient, or the tty that emacs -nw was started in). It is true that we don't limit displays in the same way, but X displays are designed to have multiple applications using them at a time, so we don't have the same problem there.