Re: Moving to bzr?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Moving to bzr?
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 12:50:51 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > Is "bzr pull" the equivalent of "cvs up -d"?  That is, is that the
 > command to resync with the master repository?  Because if it is, it is
 > slower than CVS by a large margin (but so is git's 3 min, so I assume
 > "bzr pull" is not the equivalent of "cvs up -d").

Are you testing on Windows?  git has historically had performance
problems on Windows because its Unix-oriented optimizations are often
pessimizations on Windows.  Like other posters, I've never seen a git
pull longer than 30 seconds (Mac OS X) or 15(!) on GNU/Linux, some of
which updated more than 100 objects (maybe nearly 1000) because I
don't do it often.

In terms of effect on the working directory, "bzr pull" is indeed the
equivalent of cvs up -d, but the implementation is quite different.

I believe that there are important improvements to pull that will be
in bzr 1.11 or 1.12 (so within two months), but they may require a
repo format upgrade.