Re: completing-read, incomplete documentation for "programmed completion

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: Re: completing-read, incomplete documentation for "programmed completion"
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 10:17:46 +0100

> ...and the etc/NEWS file mentions that completion-boundaries is new
> and is not yet documented in the Elisp manual.

Yeah, but the Elisp manual was not my point. I was mainly speaking
about the functions' docstrings.

Here is another one, `complete-with-action', where the docstring does
not agree with the code:

,----
| (complete-with-action ACTION TABLE STRING PRED)
|
| Perform completion ACTION.
| STRING is the string to complete.
| TABLE is the completion table, which should not be a function.
| PRED is a completion predicate.
| ACTION can be one of nil, t or `lambda'.
`----

Also, the different behaviour of `completing-read' breaks backwards
compatibility. In fact, I stumbled across this because of some lisp
code doing "programmed completion", which doesn't work properly with
Emacs 23 anymore (because it accounts only for nil, t, and `lambda').

So I think that proper documentation is important here.

Ulrich