Re: open large file with C code: is it realy should be so slow?

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: open large file with C code: is it realy should be so slow?
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 00:52:04 -0500

Richard M Stallman <address@hidden> writes:

> I too find C mode painfully slow these days.  I wonder what changed to
> make it so much slower than it was.  Perhaps the only relevant change
> is that Font Lock is now enabled; I never used to enable it.  Even so,
> it must make a lot of users unhappy.

You are likely using an exceptionally slow computer.  There are certain
special situations in which a C-mode slowdown is observable, but it
should be fine in normal usage, at least in my experience (I am using a
fairly slow Pentium IV, and do not experience C-mode slowness when
editing the Emacs source code).