Re: Moving to bzr?

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Moving to bzr?
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 17:58:46 -0500

"Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden> writes:
> Assuming we had a good repository, how would the change go? Would the
> bzr be the main repository, or just a mirror for some time? Will we
> maintain the current workflow and policies, where every developer has
> full write access? Will we add some kind of review process? Is
> Savannah ready for the change? Is there something developers should do
> to switch, other than just installing bzr and cloning the repository?

Well, let's change one variable at a time, and not add a new process
when we change VC systems.

Every person with current CVS commit access should be able to "bzr push"
changes to the "master" bzr branch.  Review can happen the way it
currently does: patches posted to the mailing list, and commits reviewed
post facto too.

(Bzr seems to have commit/push hooks, at least if
http://doc.bazaar-vcs.org/latest/en/user-guide/index.html#using-hooks
and http://doc.bazaar-vcs.org/latest/en/user-reference/bzr_man.html#hooks
say what I think they say.  It looks like 'post_change_branch_tip' might
be the one we want, but I haven't tested that yet.)

So I *think* the answer to your question "Is there something developers
should do to switch, other than just installing bzr and cloning the
repository?" is "Nope, that's it!"

-Karl