Re: open large file with C code: is it realy should be so slow?

From: Richard M Stallman
Subject: Re: open large file with C code: is it realy should be so slow?
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 17:59:39 -0500

    > I too find C mode painfully slow these days.  I wonder what changed to
    > make it so much slower than it was.  Perhaps the only relevant change
    > is that Font Lock is now enabled; I never used to enable it.  Even so,
    > it must make a lot of users unhappy.

    You are likely using an exceptionally slow computer.

I am using a Lemote Yeeloong, which could well be the machine
we will recommend to the public for the coming year or more.

I just did some testing and I am obliged to modify my complaint.
It seems that the slowness is mainly in _loading_ C mode.

Visiting buffer.h, when it is the first C file I visit,
just took 20 seconds.  However, once C mode is loaded,
visiting buffer.h again is pretty fast.