Re: Directory-local variables?

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Directory-local variables?
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 02:45:42 +0200

> Two different formats for the same feature is a bad thing.  It requires
> complete rewriting of these settings when moving file local variables
> to the directory-wide file and back.  This is very inconvenient.
>
> While it is not too late, I think we should use the same easy to write
> format as in a Local Variables: section with keeping already implemented
> features of directory-wide file variables (specifying multiply mode
> settings in the same file).

How about the following format for the directory-wide local variables file?
It is based on the standard Emacs format for Local Variables.  The first
section applies to any mode, and subsequent sections begin with the
`-*-...-*-' line and specify either a mode or a subdirectory:

Local variables:
indent-tabs-mode: maybe
tab-width: 8
fill-column: 70
End:

-*- mode: c -*-
Local variables:
c-file-style: "GNU"
End:

-*- mode: change-log -*-
Local variables:
add-log-time-zone-rule: t
fill-column: 74
End:

-*- default-directory: "src/imported" -*-
Local variables:
change-log-default-name: "ChangeLog.local"
End:

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/