x-font-family-list

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: x-font-family-list
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 22:01:38 +0200

I don't understand this change:

>       * xfaces.c (Fx_font_family_list): Function deleted.  Compatibility
>       version moved to faces.el.

Here's the compatibility function:

> +(defun x-font-family-list (&optional frame)
> +  "Return a list of available font families on FRAME.
> +If FRAME is omitted or nil, use the selected frame.
> +Value is a list of conses (FAMILY . FIXED-P) where FAMILY
> +is a font family, and FIXED-P is non-nil if fonts of that family
> +are fixed-pitch."
> +  (if (fboundp 'font-family-list)
> +      (mapcar (lambda (family) (cons family nil))
> +           (font-family-list))
> +    '(("default" . t))))
> +(make-obsolete 'x-font-family-list 'font-family-list "23.1")

This "compatibility version" is not compatible, AFAICS: it claims that
none of the font families are fixed-pitch, and also assumes that some
builds of Emacs don't have font-family-list fboundp, which is never
true AFAIK.  The net effect is that in the --without-x and MS-DOS
builds x-font-family-list now returns nil, whereas previously it was
unbound in the --without-x build and on MS-DOS returned `("default" . t)'.

What am I missing?  What was the purpose of this change?

If the value of this function is not important at all, let's delete it
completely.  If it _is_ important, then let's make the replacement
really compatible, which means at the very least make the cdr of the
cons cells it returns be non-nil for fixed-pitch font families.