Re: ^M in the info files

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: ^M in the info files
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 17:13:56 +0200

> Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 15:07:37 +0100
> From: "Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 12:15, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I fixed this bug.
>
> If the info files are compressed with gzip (using the Windows binary
> from http://www.gzip.org), when visited from Info they still have
> spurious ^M.

I cannot reproduce this (tried with compressing info/emacs*).  Please
send a complete self-contained recipe.

Does "spurious" mean that every line has a ^M, like you saw before the
fix, or just some lines?

Also, does the above reference to http://www.gzip.org means that files
compressed by other versions of gzip do work as intended?

> As an aside, when I use MSYS' gzip I get an error in decompressing:
>
>   Error while executing "gzip -c -q -d < c:/emacs/info/efaq.gz"
>   gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error
>
> Could be related to CRLF issues in the redirection (but this is a gzip
> problem, not Emacs', of course).

Right, and I don't have MSYS anyway.