IMAP and Exchange 2007 - imap-fetch-safe (was: FIXMEs in imap.el and nni

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: IMAP and Exchange 2007 - imap-fetch-safe (was: FIXMEs in imap.el and nnimap.el)
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 18:00:03 +0100

On Tue, Jan 13 2009, Dave Love wrote:

> I'm afraid there's something wrong with my fix, but it seems to be
> something like a race condition, and isn't consistently reproducible.

Bjorn Solberg reported that the fix wont work for him too:
See <news:address@hidden> on ding, or
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/68106/focus=68138
where he posted the *imap-debug*" buffer.

> It also goes away when I try to debug it.  I see the old error sometimes
> when starting Gnus afresh, and the trace says imap-fetch-safe is called
> from nnimap-find-minmax-uid.  It appears that the condition-case in
> imap-fetch-safe isn't catching the error thrown by imap-parse-message.
>
> Now I think about it, I'm more puzzled, and obviously don't understand
> the logic.  An error in a process filter should be caught anyway, so I
> wonder why the code ever works, though it does some of the time.  Any
> ideas?

Maybe someone on emacs-devel has an idea (Cc-ed).  For emacs-devel: we
are talking about the recent addition `imap-fetch-safe' in `imap.el'
and `nnimap.el'.  AFAICS, the code in the Emacs trunk is uptodate.
Note that Dave uses Emacs 21, Bjorn uses Emacs/23.0.50 according to
his headers.

> Setting imap-enable-exchange-bug-workaround globally works, of course,

It should also be possible to set it as a server variable
(info "(gnus)Server Variables").

> and it's not clear to me what the problem is with always using the
> workaround anyhow.  Are there servers on which it's known to fail or be
> noticeably slow?

Simon?  Others?
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/66635/focus=94117

Bye, Reiner.