RE: Annoying paren match messages in minibuffer

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Annoying paren match messages in minibuffer
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 14:30:23 -0800

> > I didn't mean for the extra header line to always be present,
> > just to be created on demand when there's a need for an extra
> > message in the minibuffer.  Yes, this would move the mode-line
> > one line up and down when displaying the extra header line in
> > the minibufer, but that might not be a problem given that it's
> > not such a frequent action.
>
> Oh, I see, then I guess it'd be OK, tho I'd rather see the message
> *below* rather than *above*.

I don't have a ready-made opinion on this, but please, whatever you do, keep the
possibility for programmers to get the current behavior.

It sounds like we're veering into territory that could well be as annoying, at
least to some, as the behavior that someone originally found annoying.

So, by all means, implement it, play with it, ask others to play with it, and
maybe even add it to Emacs. It sounds like an idea worth exploring. But please
don't replace the existing behavior, at least as an option for those who prefer
it.

IOW, yes to new, experimental ideas; no to adopting them willy nilly.