Re: Annoying paren match messages in minibuffer

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Annoying paren match messages in minibuffer
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 18:10:45 -0500

> Not just the delay. You need to be _able_, somehow, to specifically get the
> normal `message' behavior even when a minibuffer read is in progress. See my
> reply to Juri.

Other than the delay, I see no evidence that what you assert is true.

> You need to be _able_, somehow, to specifically get the normal
> `minibuffer-message' behavior even when  not in the minibuffer (or
> even when it's not active).

Again, where's the evidence: currently minibuffer-message is pretty much
unusable in a non-minibuffer buffer, yet I haven't seen a single bug
report about it.

> See my reply to Juri. `minibufferp' returns non-nil for every
> minibuffer, whether active or not, and it returns non-nil for
> a minibuffer even if _none_ of the minibuffers are active. That is, it
> returns non-nil even if there is no user-input interaction going
> on. That is the wrong condition.

Care to give a scenario where that's a problem?  It's pretty extremely
rare to be inside a minibuffer that's not active, if you ask me.

> The proper test, IMO, is whether the minibuffer is active, that is,
> whether some minibuffer is active. It has nothing (necessarily) to do
> with the current window/buffer.

So when some unrelated minibuffer is active, you want to display your
message next to its content, giving the impression that the message
refers to the minibuffer's content?  That doesn't sound right at all.

        Stefan