Re: Annoying paren match messages in minibuffer

From: Chetan Pandya
Subject: Re: Annoying paren match messages in minibuffer
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 15:16:01 -0800 (PST)

> > > I didn't mean for the extra header line to always be present,
> > > just to be created on demand when there's a need for an extra
> > > message in the minibuffer.  Yes, this would move the mode-line
> > > one line up and down when displaying the extra header line in
> > > the minibufer, but that might not be a problem given that it's
> > not such a frequent action.
> >
> > Oh, I see, then I guess it'd be OK, tho I'd rather see the message
> > *below* rather than *above*.

> I don't have a ready-made opinion on this, but please, whatever you do, keep
> the
> possibility for programmers to get the current behavior.

> It sounds like we're veering into territory that could well be as annoying, at
> least to some, as the behavior that someone originally found annoying.

> So, by all means, implement it, play with it, ask others to play with it, and
> maybe even add it to Emacs. It sounds like an idea worth exploring. But please
> don't replace the existing behavior, at least as an option for those who
> prefer
> it.

> IOW, yes to new, experimental ideas; no to adopting them willy nilly.

Given how much traffic there has been on discussing "message", I tend to agree.
For the people who want to experiment, it is possible to do

(setq messagefn (symbol-function 'message))
(fset 'message 'my-choice-message-function)

So it isn't clear there is any urgency of doing this, unless there are other
instances
where the current behavior is irritable and this solution does not work, but
then a
different solution is needed anyway.

Chetan