Re: No coding system in the modeline for unibyte buffers.

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: No coding system in the modeline for unibyte buffers.
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 00:47:11 +0100

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 21:45, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

> Maybe the problem is that you don't realize that a unibyte buffer is
> different from a multibyte buffer using raw-text (or binary) encoding?

I wouldn't dismiss it.

IIUC, a unibyte buffer should contain raw bytes, while a raw-text
multibyte buffer would contain the same contents, converted to the
internal utf-8 based Emacs representation.

But I confess I'm puzzled why

 M-x find-file-binary test.txt <RET>
 M-: enable-multibyte-characters <RET>  => nil
 C-u C-x =    ; over ñ

        character:   (241, #o361, #xf1)
preferred charset: iso-8859-1 (Latin-1 (ISO/IEC 8859-1))
       code point: 0xF1
           syntax: w    which means: word
         category: j:Japanese l:Latin
      buffer code: #xC3 #xB1
        file code: #xC3 #xB1 (encoded by coding system no-conversion)

If I'm hopelessly wrong, I'm quite ready to be enlightened (and
perhaps the docs will need work).

    Juanma