bzr repository ready? (was: Moving to bzr?)

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: bzr repository ready? (was: Moving to bzr?)
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 17:56:58 -0500

Jason Earl writes:
> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>> Great.  So we have a good enough repository now?
>
> I would feel more comfortable with a resounding "yes" if more of the
> Emacs hackers took a look at my emacs-merges repository, but I believe
> that is the case.

Jason, you said in [1] that the bzr repository you created at
bzr://bzr.notengoamigos.org/emacs-merges/ has (or had) known problems.
This may have put people off from inspecting it -- anyway, I know it had
that effect on me :-).  I figured, if you already know it has problems,
then let's wait for a new one that you think is a good conversion, and
then see if we can find any problems.

So is it in a thought-to-be-good state now?

If not, can you summarize what the problems are?  Or if yes, then I will
spot-check it (and suspect others would as well).

As far as I'm aware, having a good conversion of our CVS history is the
only thing stopping us from switching over now.  I'm not a bzr
conversion expert, but that seems like it ought to be a solveable
problem.  (Sustained two-way mirroring between CVS and bzr is not a
requirement -- we just need to get a one-time good conversion, right?)

-Karl

[1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/bazaar/2008q4/048463.html

See also:
  http://www.opensubscriber.com/message/address@hidden/10959754.html
regarding possibly asking converters to other VC systems how they
preserved history, if our bzr conversion is having problems doing that.