Re: Summer of Code 2009

From: Will Farrington
Subject: Re: Summer of Code 2009
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 21:41:12 -0500

On Jan 17, 2009, at 7:53 PM, Nick Roberts wrote:

As a student who participated in GSoC last year, I'd be thrilled to do
work on Emacs.

Personally, as far as more-accomplishable tasks go, I'd recommend
having a couple geared towards bringing various ports (namely the
Cocoa one) up to feature parity with the others (namely the Gtk one).
These would go a long way towards improving Emacs while being simple
enough to work on to be accomplished within the 12-week limit.

It might be acheivable but I doubt GNU would agree to a student from
their allocated number working on a port of Emacs to a proprietary platform.

Eliminating bugs from Emacs is *always* a good thing, even for proprietary platforms. I think discouraging people from trying to improve Emacs based upon the platform they use sends the wrong message.