Re: Summer of Code 2009

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Summer of Code 2009
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 19:45:23 +1300

 > > It might be acheivable but I doubt GNU would agree to a student from
 > > their allocated number working on a port of Emacs to a proprietary
 > > platform.
 >
 > Eliminating bugs from Emacs is *always* a good thing, even for
 > proprietary platforms. I think discouraging people from trying to
 > improve Emacs based upon the platform they use sends the wrong message.

I think some perspective is needed here: last year GNU, as an organisation, was
allocated 9 students which meant under one student per project from those that
had applied.  Unless GNUstep is a get out of jail clause, I think giving people
false hope sends out the wrong message.  Of course, all these ideas are to be
encouraged and should get the support of the mailing list, but probably only
one, at most, will receive a grant.