Pmail slow on 4-meg message

From: Richard M Stallman
Subject: Pmail slow on 4-meg message
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 15:32:15 -0500

I have a 4-meg message in my PMAIL file.
Displaying it in Pmail takes around 12 seconds.
When I move to such a message, unless I have seen this problem
in the past hour, my first thought is that Emacs is hung.
I tend to type C-g, which can cause worse trouble.

I think pmail-show-message needs to display something in the echo area
saying "displaying message N" while showing a message above some
specified size, perhaps defaulting to 200k.

What do people think?

The worst pain is if I type n n and the first n goes to such
a message.  It suggests to me that pmail-show-message should process
the message 100k at a time, in a pre-emptable loop.