Re: w32-pass-rwindow-to-system

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: w32-pass-rwindow-to-system
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 22:58:25 +0100

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 3:23 PM, Jason Rumney <address@hidden> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> With w32-pass-[lr]window-to-system set to nil, pressing either Windows
>>> key does not open the Start menu (while Emacs is the active app, of
>>> course).
>>>

>> This is not guaranteed according to MS documentation.
>>

> Do you have an example where it specifically mentions that it won't work, or
> are you meaning the lack of Microsoft documentation regarding Windows key
> handling means it might not be guaranteed?

When we discussed this 3.5 y ago before I implemented this in the
patched version of Emacs+EmacsW32 I sent a an url with a simple
overview of the different techniques that MS have made available for
handling things like this. All the older versions where rather bad in
my opinion, but with lowlevel keyboard hooks they got it right.

I do not remember now, but I believe the "references" links at the
bottom of that page goes to more documentation like descriptions.
Otherwise just look for LowLevelKeyboardProc in msdn.

 Here is the thread and the url to the overview:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2005-07/msg00448.html
  http://www.codeproject.com/KB/winsdk/AntonioWinLock.aspx

> AFAIK, the current workaround was discovered by Andrew Innes after much
> experimentation when the MS docs were found inadequate, and this is the
> first bug report I have seen saying that it doesn't work for suppressing the
> Start Menu as documented. But since the user is using your patched version,
> I can only suppose that it is your changes to low level Windows key handling
> that are causing this problem.

It might be that the lowlevel keyboard hooks where not available when
Andrew did this. I think they first showed up in W2k.