Re: Add lgrep/rgrep commands to Edit > Search submenu

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Add lgrep/rgrep commands to Edit > Search submenu
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 20:54:36 -0500

> I find lgrep / rgrep rather useful as an editing tool -- but perhaps
> that is because I have the "replace grep match" add-on which I find is
> one of the most efficient extensions to Emacs (it was rejected last time
> I proposed this - so I'm not going to propose it again).

I can't remember seeing it discussed, but it looks pretty neat.  I don't
use lgrep/rgrep myself, but it looks like it'll work with `grep' just
fine, which I do use regularly.

Being in feature freeze, we're not going to integrate it now, and we may
want to tweak the UI a bit, but I like the idea.
It's a bit inconvenient that it relies on GNU grep's match-highlight,
and I wonder what happens with other grep implementations.

        Stefan

PS: a related functionality would be all.el's ability to edit the *grep*
buffer and have the modifications be immediately reflected in the
corresponding buffers.