RE: Add lgrep/rgrep commands to Edit > Search submenu

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Add lgrep/rgrep commands to Edit > Search submenu
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 16:48:16 -0800

> I agree, we should keep more key prefixes for other useful things.
> So we can use only one prefix `M-g r' for all grep commands:
>
> M-g r e         grep
> M-g r l         lgrep
> M-g r r         rgrep
> M-g r f         grep-find
>
> M-g M-r M-e     grep
> M-g M-r M-l     lgrep
> M-g M-r M-r     rgrep
> M-g M-r M-f     grep-find
>
> All these key sequences are easy to type.

I don't really care one way or the other, but my reaction is this:

What's wrong with `M-x grep' and so on? Seems easier to remember and nearly as
easy to type. Especially with TAB completion: `M-x lg TAB' (4 chars) vs `M-g r
l' (3 chars). Is the keystroke savings really worth it?

On the other hand (as I've suggested before), it makes sense to have a binding
such as `g' in the *grep* buffer that calls up the last `grep' etc. command
again. Currently, `g' runs `recompile' in *grep*. (Or you could have bindings
`g', `l', `r', and `f' for the various grep flavors, and remember the previous
command of each grep flavor.)

Ignore this, if you feel strongly about it.