Re: Change in rmail-reply

From: Don Armstrong
Subject: Re: Change in rmail-reply
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 15:35:28 -0800

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009, Richard M Stallman wrote:
>     should end up with entirely new From/To headers.
>
> You seem to assume a distinction between "forwarding" and "resending".

I'm not assuming it; RFC 2822 makes the distinction.

> Would you please explain it?

The distinction is the difference between "I'd like you to see this
mail" and "this mail was misdirected to me". [If you've used mutt,
it's the difference between forward and bounce.]

>     been reinserted into the mail delivery chain by someone.
>
> When you resend John Doe's message to me, doesn't that mean it has
> been "reinserted into the mail delivery chain" by you? I seems that
> way to me.

A message which has From: of the new sender and To: of the new
recipient is reinserted when you forward.

Don Armstrong

--
America was far better suited to be the World's Movie Star. The
world's tequila-addled pro-league bowler. The world's acerbic bi-polar