Re: tags for functions

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: tags for functions
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 14:38:08 -0600

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 13:40:01 -0500 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

JL> (when (and (functionp symbol) (setq docstr (documentation symbol t))

SM> Most docstrings (upon startup) are not kept in memory but in the DOC
SM> file instead.  Calling `documentation' will load this file and look for
SM> the corresponding docstring there.

SM> I think the best/only way forward is to do something along the lines of
SM> cus-load.el, i.e. generate the data offline.

SM>         Stefan "who still doesn't know what data we're talking about"

I'm interested in "@keyword" substrings of the docstring that indicate
the keywords for a particular function.  The goals are to:

- list all keywords
- list all keywords for a function
- list all functions for a keyword

Juri's solution is slow, as Lennart noted, due to the `documentation'
issue you mentioned.  I said I think a defun-after-hook would be the
best solution.  Maybe it should be combined with a etc/DOC scan to find
all the existing keywords quickly.

Ted