Re: Change in rmail-reply

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Change in rmail-reply
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 01:36:06 +0900

Richard M Stallman writes:

 > The RFC is clear, but it seems to be clearly wrong.  If John Doe sends
 > a message to you, and you resend it to me, and I do "reply to all", it
 > seems clear that my reply should by default go to [you]

If the resender wishes to indicate interest in the conversation, they
can do this in a number of ways, including adding themselves as a CC,
specifying a Reply-To header, or forwarding the message (ie,
encapsulating the original text in a new message with themselves in
the From header).

 > and to all the other people you resent it to -- as well as to the
 > sender and recipients of the original message.
 >
 > Can anyone present an argument in support of what the RFC says?

In my experience the most frequent users of Resent-* headers are not
human agents, but daemons.  I see no good to come of automatically
adding their addresses to the reply-to list.