Re: C-n and C-a

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: C-n and C-a
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 18:15:23 +0100

Harald Hanche-Olsen <address@hidden> writes:

> + Tassilo Horn <address@hidden>:
>
>> A bit more convenient would be to type `C-a' twice, which would
>> toggle between screen and real line beginning.
>
> Or even more simply: If the cursor is at the beginning of a screen
> line, let C-a go to the beginning of the real line. Otherwise it goes
> to the beginning of the screen line. That way you don't have to
> remember any state. I am sure I could get used to this real quick.
> (Or was that in effect what you were suggesting already?)

Not exactly.  I though that the first C-a would jump to the beginning of
the screen line, a second would jump to the beginning of the real line,
a third would jump back to the beginning of the previous screen line.
Of course this would have to me remembered.

But I think this toggling behavior is only convenient in very rare
cases, so I'd go with our simple approach.  (To go back to the beginning
of the previous screen line only a few `next-line's are needed anyway.)

Bye,
Tassilo
--
A child of five could understand this! Fetch me a child of five!