Re: bzr repository ready?

From: Andreas Schwab
Subject: Re: bzr repository ready?
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 21:24:58 +0100

Karl Fogel <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks.  So if I understand you correctly, we shouldn't worry about that
> commit not showing up in the bzr history.  It was omitted (from git)
> because the original changes themselves are already present via the
> merge parent, and including the merge of that parent as a commit unto
> itself wouldn't add any information.

The change is not omitted, it is part of the merge commit.  It is just
not displayed when listing the changes in the file, since the merge
commit itself did not contribute anything new to it.

Technically, a merge commit is nothing more than a commit with more than
one parent.  It does not change anything on the state of the associated
tree when the other parents are omitted.

> (Reading http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/user-manual.html
> to make sure I grok this completely... So in the merge of the lexbind
> branch and the master branch, the lexbind branch is parent 1 and the
> master branch is parent 2?)

The first parent is always the commit on the same branch, the other
parents (there can be more than two) are the commits from the merged
branches.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SuSE Labs, address@hidden