Re: C-n and C-a

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: C-n and C-a
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 15:33:08 -0500

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> visual-line-mode is no less misleading - in addition to enabling visual
> motion commands it also enables word wrap mode.  And there is no way
> to enable visual motion commands without enabling warping text at
> word boundaries.
>
> These are two separate features amalgamated into one mode.
> I think we should provide a way to toggle them separately.

The features are logically separate, but in practice they are usually
useful only in combination.  When there are lots of wrapped lines, it's
natural to have commands like C-a and C-n act on visual lines.
Conversely, visual-line based commands are not terribly useful unless
the buffer has lots of long lines, and that's a pain to deal with unless
you enable word wrap.

Longlines-mode had an option to separate the word wrapping and line
motion behavior, but AFAIK no one ever used it.