VC Development

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: VC Development
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 12:41:08 +1300

Dan Nicolaescu writes:

> It's even more strange that version control is so important nowadays,
> and just about everyone seems to have a very strong opinion about it,
> but not enough to want to contribute to VC...

One reason that makes it unattractive to me is the fact that you revert changes
without discussion:

2009-01-31  Dan Nicolaescu  <address@hidden>

        * vc-dir.el (vc-dir-mouse-map):
        (vc-default-dir-printer):
        (vc-dir-find-file-other-window): Undo previous change, it breaks
        the behavior of mouse-2.

This change fixed bug#1098 which I reported in October of last year where I
say:

   In vc-directory, mouse-2 on a [file] toggles the mark.  This is unintuitive
   and inconsistent with with PCL-CVS and Emacs general use of mouse-2 to link
   to something else.  It should visit the file at that point in another
   buffer.

I'm sure that it would have been easy to fix this without reverting the change
that I had already made.  Exactly what behaviour was broken?  I took care to
keep the existing keymap.