Re: Don't report new bugs for Rmail??

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Don't report new bugs for Rmail??
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 12:15:53 +0100

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 05:02, Don Armstrong <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'd rather not waste time trying to work around problems and
> misconceptions brought about by the use of invented non-standard
> nomenclature to describe how debbugs operates. [In actual fact, I
> probably won't spend the time dealing with such issues at all.]

It is clear that what I'm describing as a "label" is just what you
call a "package that has not been created". The fact they are
initially arbitrary labels is highlighted by the fact that

  reassign N this-nonexistent-package

works (with a warning), and then you can search for
this-nonexistent-package. If packages were so first-order objects, it
would be impossible to assign one to a nonexistent one.

> No. You can search for bugs which have package "rmail".

Yes. That's exactly what I was saying. But, until you create the
package rmail, "rmail" is only a label (even if you and debbugs don't
call it so).

> There is no
> such thing as a label in debbugs. The package a bug is assigned to has
> nothing to do with whether the package is known to exist. Debbugs only
> cares about what is in the package field of the bug when searching for
> bugs.

Which agrees 100% with what I said, except by nomenclature.

    Juanma