Re: buffer-swap-text and multibyteness

From: Richard M Stallman
Subject: Re: buffer-swap-text and multibyteness
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 17:49:08 -0500

    I haven't looked at the code recently, but it does sound like an
    undesirable state of affairs, indeed.  In tar-mode (and the way I imagine
    buffer-swap-text to be used), swapping the buffer is a rare operation
    that's basically only done when the the major mode changes.

Rmail swaps the buffers twice every time you switch messages.
A number of other commands also temporarily unswap.

Before I worked on it, several other commands and functions used to unswap,
but I altered them to operate on the proper buffer without altering the
arrangements.  Perhaps similar changes can be applied elsewhere.