Re: buffer-swap-text and multibyteness

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: buffer-swap-text and multibyteness
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 06:09:15 +0200

> From: Richard M Stallman <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 17:49:09 -0500
>
>     Just imagine what it takes to implement rmail-edit with this
>     mind-swapping design (which is probably the main reason why it
>     currently seems to work only with plain-ASCII message bodies).
>
> I implemented support for editing non-ASCII messages.  If it fails,
> please send a bug report with a test case.

I did (bugs 2015 and 2017).  I was in the middle of working on them
last weekend when I ran out of time; I intend to continue next
weekend, which is why I didn't submit more test cases.  Even after all
the fixes I did in both rmail and unrmail, some non-ASCII messages are
not displayed correctly after conversion from BABYL and/or
rmail-edit.  Strangely, it seems to depend on the encoding of the
original message somehow.  I suspect it has something to do with the
fact that one of the two buffers being swapped is a unibyte buffer,
while the other is multibyte, and that we set
buffer-file-coding-system of the buffers according to the message that
is being displayed.