Re: VC Development

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: VC Development
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 16:33:16 -0500

>> +  (let ((map vc-dir-mode-map))

> OK.  I see now that I should have used copy-keymap:

>   (let ((map (copy-keymap vc-dir-mode-map)))

Actually, it should inherit instead:

   (let ((map (make-sparse-keymap)))
     (set-keymap-parent map vc-dir-mode-map)

Better yet: use the `keymap' property rather than the `local-map'
property, so the keymap can just contains the `mouse-2' binding without
having to explicitly copy and/or inherit from the local map.

> I would like to see this change go in before the pretest.  Since I'm
> evidently in Dan's killfile this must be a request to the maintainers.
> In case there is any confusion, with my proposed change, mouse-2 still
> toggles the mark when clicked over the status (first mouse highlight
> region) but over the filename (second mouse highlight region) now
> visits that file in another buffer.

Yes, it's a change we want to have installed.

> I would also like to see stay-local behaviour working.  I can look at
> making vc-svn-registered not use "svn status -v DIR", so that
> vc-stay-local-p is not so slow, but clearly it is not worthwhile if
> Dan is going to revert all my changes and refuse to discuss the
> reasons why.

Just send your patches here for approval.

        Stefan