Re: Has enable-multibyte-characters outlived its usefulness?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Has enable-multibyte-characters outlived its usefulness?
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 15:45:19 -0500

> It used to be that multibyte character support in emacs was selective
> and one had to enable it.  Now that the support is always compiled in
> and setting buffer to multibyte seems to do unexpected things, if
> there any reason to continue with that feature?

If you really mean `enable-multibyte-characters', then it's still very
much useful and I see no reason to drop it in the foreseeable future.
If you mean default-enable-multibyte-characters, then yes it should
be dropped.

        Stefan

PS: Support for multibyte has always been compiled in Emacs without any
way to "opt out", contrary to XEmacs.
`default-enable-multibyte-characters' was a way to avoid (mostly) using it
at runtime.