Re: map-file-lines

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: map-file-lines
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 13:54:30 -0500

> Emacs Lisp lacks a good way to iterate over all the lines of a file,
> especially for a large file.

I'm not really happy about focusing on "line at a time".  It's a useful
and common case, but Emacs usually is pretty good about being "line
agnostic" (font-lock being an obvious counter example).

Providing some kind of stream-processing functionality might be good,
tho the need doesn't seem terribly high, since we've managed to avoid it
until now.

FWIW, another option is to provide an open-file-stream along the same
lines as open-network-stream.  I.e. the chunks are received via
a process filter.

        Stefan