Re: map-file-lines

From: joakim
Subject: Re: map-file-lines
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 00:59:07 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> I would like to add my voice in requesting "large file" capability in
>> Emacs. I wanted it many times over the years, but always coped-out into
>> some other editor for this.
>
>> A common example is hex-editing a large binary file, or finding some
>> text in some enourmous log-file.
>
> I don't se how such a "line-at-a-time" or "chunk-at-a-time" processing
> (i.e. stream processing) will enable Emacs to let you conveniently edit
> a large binary file.

Maybe like this:
- find where you want to edit, by searching chunk-at-a-time
- display a buffer of this chunk
- edit it
- save the chunk back into the file

This could behave conceptually like narrowing. Obviously not perfect,
but better than not being able to edit large files at all.

--
Joakim Verona