Re: Emacs-Lisp Bill-Board

From: Daniel Clemente
Subject: Re: Emacs-Lisp Bill-Board
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 11:27:41 +0100

  EmacsWiki was suggested as the natural place to share code snippets, but not
appropriate because of possible unwanted edits and because it doesn't integrate
well with our tools (version control, Emacs, ...).

  I propose to reimplement EmacsWiki using org-mode pages. Org-mode (
http://orgmode.org/ ) is an oficial Emacs mode to take notes, define tasks to
do, schedule appointments and deadlines, publish to several formats, and more.
It uses just a plain text file with as much markup as you want. Version control
works thus very well with .org files.

  This combination would do it:
- a Bazaar repository. This is where access control is done
- several .org files in it; including global pages with Emacs information and
also personal pages with information and the each user's task list if they want.
- a script which export these pages to HTML (this is already done; see below)
- a web interface so that users can edit pages in a web browser

  A special branch or directory with restricted access could be used to hold
the accepted code for inclusion with Emacs. Emacs could then branch this
directory. Either this is restricted to people who signed the FSF papers, or
some script is included in Emacs to download this branch at will.
  There can be a global section and also personal pages, where each users
tracks their Emacs-related tasks (schedules, deadlines, TODOs, links to
discussions, ...). Hey, even bugs could be discussed and fixed in Org better
than in a bug tracker! Note that you get all the typical Emacs eye-candy while
you are editing .org files: gnus, remember, bbdb, vc, diary, appt, ...

  Of course, other files could also be tracked and shared, like export scripts.
Org-mode even includes an attachment system which can help organize files and
add any metadata you want. Source code can be edited in place (with syntax
colouring) or attached in files.

  This is not an utopia; this is already being used in Worg, a repository of
pages related to Org-mode.
  Its main page is: http://orgmode.org/worg/
  You can fetch this branch (read-only) with: git clone
git://repo.or.cz/Worg.git

  Registered users can push to that branch easily, can fork from that branch,
merge again, etc.

  What is missing is a web interface to that repository which allows to commit
each change that. But I understand that this is already what EmacsWiki does,
since it commits everything to a repository
(http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SVN_repository). The new EmacsWiki branch could
even import this Subversion branch.

  Many users have been contributing to Worg and it has been useful. It is a
working demo of what EmacsWiki could do; in the future, maybe Worg is just a
part of the greater EmacsWiki...

  Greetings,
Daniel