Re: end-of-defun is fubsr.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: end-of-defun is fubsr.
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 15:44:27 +0000

Hi, Stefan,

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 09:29:20AM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> >> Oh, so we just disagree about what is the correct behavior.  As far
> >> as I'm concerned, if C-M-e gets you to BOL315, that means that the
> >> end of the function is BOL315, which implies that EOL313 is inside
> >> the function, so it's correct for C-M-e to just move to BOL315.

> > WADR, this is sophistry.  Correct behaviour is to go to the end of the
> > defun.  In C, this is the closing }.  It CAN'T be anywhere else.  Take a
> > straw poll of 100 C hackers and ask them.  It's the place where a
> > compiler would give an error message if you chop off the buffer before
> > it.
> > The doc string for `end-of-defun' is crystal clear here: "Move forward to
> > next end of defun".

> There are 2 issues:
> - Should M-C-e from within that function jump to BOL315 or to EOL313?

Either EOL313 or BOL314 (was your "315" a typo?).  It would be nice to be
definite here, but history necessitates vagueness.

> - given that it jumps to BOL315, should C-M-e from EOL313 also jump to
>   BOL315 or to the end of the next function?

EOL313 is AT the end of the defun.  C-M-e move to the NEXT EOD, therefore
it MUST jump to L331/332.  From a pragmatic point of view, what hacker
wouldn't be aggravated by C-M-e taking him from EOL313 to BOL314?

> My reply only concerned the second question, whereas your above argument
> seems to apply to the first.

> >> That's what end-of-defun-function should do, indeed.
> > I would agree.  I detest sloppy definitions, but EOD-function has been
> > sloppily defined for years.  I think we should accept that EOD-functions
> > in existing modes DON'T all go to this ideal point, but themselves
> > correct for WS.
> >> Like which code?
> > Well, in my first page of 50 in a google search for
> > "end-of-defun-function", I came up with these, all of which set
> > end-of-defun-function:

> I know such functions exist, but which ones of these are (would be) broken?

Haven't a clue, and can't be bothered to investigate.  It's a fair
assumption that several or many would be broken.  I think the onus is on
the person advocating the change to show that things are OK, rather than
for opponents to show that things will definitely break.

> > A user option c-recognize-k&r would be the way to go, I suppose.  It
> > would be trivially easy to implement and would improve the
> > performance of C Mode.  I was thinking more of purging the K&R
> > declarations from the Emacs source code.  Perhaps for Emacs 24?  This
> > surely would be a forward step now, even if it wouldn't have been in
> > 1990.

> No need to purge them before removing C-mode support for them.
> AFAIK they were not supported by Emacs-21's C-mode either (at least in
> the sense that BOD/EOD always did the right thing for them).

> >> If that can solve the performance issues, I'm all for it.  After all,
> >> Emacs-21 didn't get it right and I haven't heard significant complains
> >> about it.  It's not like Emacs is always expected to understand every
> >> little bit of a language's syntax anyway.
> > Well, we could get philosophical about this.  I think that every little
> > glitch which "isn't quite right" detracts from quality, and if there are
> > enough such glitches, the user's impression will be of general low
> > quality.

> If you want to go there, you need to use the corresponding tools:
> e.g. a real parser.

I do want to go there, and without a real parser.  Therefore I can only
approach closely.

> > Let me repeat that:  THIS CHANGE WILL CAUSE EXISTING CODE TO BREAK
> > WITH FUTURE IMPLEMENTATIONS OF end-of-defun-function.

> Potential breakage comes with *any* change.  So I'm not interested
> in it.  Show me actual breakage.

That's sophistry again, Stefan.  It's true that any change risks
breakage.  But with most changes we make, we take care to minimise the
risk of breakage.  This particular change positively provokes it.  And
fixing any such breakage will be boring tedious drudgery, regardless of
whether one of us, or J. Random Hacker has to do it.

> > It isn't slow for ARG=1, except for some ill-conditioned files (perhaps
> > src/lisp.h).

> regex.c is pretty painful as well.

OK.  I'll look at that.

> > Somebody other than me will care about ARG > 1.  She'll care a lot
> > when Emacs 23 hangs for 5, 10, 20, 50 seconds.  People who will use
> > C-M-e to move large distances over files, for example.  In Emacs-22,
> > this is fast - the speed is essentially independent of ARG.  Why
> > should we slap them in the face when we release Emacs-23?

> Check Emacs-22's code again: it also calls EOD-function ARG times.
> So we're still talking just a constant factor.  The fact that you don't
> know that indicates that it's clearly not a big issue.

Sorry, you're wrong, at least as far as CC Mode is concerned. ;-)  In
cc-mode.el appears this:

  ;; (April 2006): RMS has now approved these commands as defaults.
  (unless (memq 'argumentative-bod-function c-emacs-features)
    (define-key c-mode-base-map "\e\C-a"    'c-beginning-of-defun)
    (define-key c-mode-base-map "\e\C-e"    'c-end-of-defun))

In Emacs-22, C-M-[ae] were bound directly to the CC Mode functions.  In
Emacs-23, the unless clause prevents this.  Would you object if I
restored these CC Mode bindings in Emacs 23?  That's not a rhetorical
question.  Then we'd both get what we want, more or less.  Except that
this matter would stay unresolved, and raise its ugly head yet again some
time in the future.  I'm thoroughly sick of it, and I expect you are too.

> Mind you, I do agree that it might be good to solve this "ARG times
> slow".  I just don't think it's high on the list of things to fix.

I regard it as already fixed.  I fixed it, at the cost of a vast amount
of refactoring and many, many evenings' hacking in 2006.  I protest most
strongly at losing the fruits of that work, even if only for the EOD
case.  Should I just restore the C-M-[ae] bindings in c-mode-base-map?

> > It won't work when point is outside a defun.  And a combination of
> > (BOD) and (EOD) isn't capable of reliably determining if point is
> > outside a defun.

> Why wouldn't it work to compare the starting position with the position
> after BOD+EOD?

Because the sloppiness of the general EOD-function will have left point
at some random position in the WS between defun-0 and defun-1.  If you
start somewhere in that WS, BOD+EOD will also leave you somewhere in that
WS, so comparing those positions gives at best heuristic information.

To get firm information, you'd have to start doing things like
c-backward-syntactic-ws and see if you end up before where EOD put you.
You can't rely on checking for a paren/brace/bracket, because not all
languages use them (shell script, haskell, ?pascal for example).

Even (BOD) (BOD -1) isn't necessarily any good, since
beginning-of-defun-function might well be implemented to go to the
textually nearest defun regardless of nesting level.  Martin Stjernholm
suggested this algorithm for CC Mode a while back - it's a good
suggestion.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).